1 package 2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon fat-free milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tblsp powdered sugar
1/4 cup boiling water
6-10 cups vegetable shortening for frying
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. let solution stand for 5 minutes or until it becomes foamy on top. Make sure the water isn't too hot, or you may kill the yeast.
2. Combine flour and salt in large bowl with an electric mixer. Add yeast solution, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla and mix well with electric mixer for 30 seconds or just until all ingredients are combined.
3. Form dough into a ball, then let it sit in a bowl, covered, in a warm place for approximately one hour, or until the dough doubles in size.
4. Gently roll out the dough until it's about 1/2 inch thick on a floured surface. Use a well-floured 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut out circles of dough. Then use a well-floured lid from a plastic soda bottle to cut the holes. You can also use a 3 inch doughnut cutter. Arrange the doughnuts on a couple of lightly floured cookie sheets, cover them with plastic wrap, and let them sit for one hour in a warm place. After about an hour, the doughnuts should have doubled in size.
5. While the doughnuts res, make the glaze by combining powdered sugar, boiling water and salt. Whisk glaze until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap.
6. As doughnuts rise, heat vegetable shortening in a fryer to 375 degrees.
7. When doughnuts have doubled in size, transfer to the shortening. lift gently. Fry 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.
8. After a minute or so after cooking, spoon glaze over the tope of each doughnut.