1/2 cup * 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
* Scant 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
* 1 egg
* 1-1/2 cups sifted flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Cream together the butter, brown and granulated sugars. Add the peanut butter and egg; beat well. In a small bowl, combine the sifted flour, salt and baking soda. Stir with whisk to combine. Gradually stir into butter mixture, stirring well after each addition to blend. Add vanilla and beat well.
2. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet about 2-inches apart. Flatten each ball with a fork in a crisscross pattern. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned around the edges.
3. Notes: When using peanut butter in baking, always use regular jarred peanut butter and not homemade unless specifically called for in the recipe. I usually use a low-sodium and/or low-sugar variety. You can use anywhere from 3/4 to 1 cup of granulated sugar, depending on desired sweetness. For an added effect, dip the fork into extra granulated sugar before making the crisscross pattern.