1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Beat the shortening with sugar and egg until light and fluffy.
3. Add dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
4. Add vanilla.
5. Add chocolate a little at a time, cutting in with a knife. Do not stir.
6. Form into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Flatten with the bottom of a sugar-coated glass.
8. Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly golden.