16 oz. almond paste at room temperature
1 cup margarine
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
8 egg yolks
8 egg whites
4 cups flour
red food color
green food color
raspberry jam or Nutella
Chocolate Glaze: In a glass or plastic bowl mix 12 oz chocolate with 3 tablespoons of shortening and microwave on high for about 2 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. grease bottom of three jelly roll pans (approx 11 x15). Line with wax paper, then spray with shortening.
2. Mix almond paste, butter, margarine and sugar together. Add egg yolks and mix until mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Add flour until barely mixed.
4. In another bowl beat egg whites until very stiff. Add egg whites to the batter by hand until thoroughly mixed.
5. Divid batter in thirds. Mix red food color in one, green in the second, and leave the third plain. Spread into prepared pans using a small angled spatula.
6. Bake 10- 14 minutes or until edges are golden brown. If you are cooking two trays at a time, switch the pans in the oven after 5 minutes. Make sure the center is loose before inverting. Cool five minutes. Remove wax paper and let cool. If you have a large cutting board, it helps to put the first layer on this for support.
7. Spread jam or Nutella over green layer, top with plain layer. Spread more jam or Nutella and top with pink layer. Cover and let it rest for a few hours.
8. Cut 2" strips and spread top and sides with chocolate glaze.
9. Slice each strip into thin slices.